I received a master degrees in international affairs and economics from Warsaw School of Economics in 2005. However, I became fascinated with psychology and completed my PhD degree at the Institute of Psychology of the Polish Academy of Sciences, researching the social functions of amusement under the supervision of Bogdan Wojciszke.
Since 2012, I've worked in the Cultural Psychology Laboratory. I focus on the areas common to cultural psychology and positive psychology (e.g., smiling, positive emotions). But my economic background makes me uncomfortable with the small-scale cooperation between cross-cultural psychologists and macroeconomists; I would like to launch a broad intercultural project on a culturally sensitive development index soon.
- Krys, K., Vauclair, M., Capaldi, C., Lun, V., Bond, M., Domínguez-Espinosa, A., Torres, C., Lipp, O., Manickam, S., Xing, C., Antalíková, R., Pavlopoulos, V., Teyssier, J., Hur, T., Hansen, K., Szarota, P., Ahmed, R., Burtceva, E., Chkhaidze, A., Cenko, E., Denoux, P., Fülöp, M., Hassan, A., Igbokwe, D., Işık, İ., Javangwe, G., Malbran, M., Maricchiolo, F., Mikarsa, H., Miles, L., Nader, M., Park, J., Rizwan, M., Salem, R., Schwarz, B., Shah, I., Sun, Ch., Tilburg, W., Wagner, W., Wise, R, & Yu, A. Be careful where you smile: Culture shapes judgments of intelligence and honesty of smiling individuals. Journal of Nonverbal Behavior.
- Krys, K., & Świderski, F. (2014). Heaven may be sought not only in the sky, but also on the ground. Compensation of affiliative and sense needs. Przegląd Psychologiczny, 57, 515-526.
- Krys, K., & Wojciszke, B. (2013). Analysis of selected changes in the social functioning of amused individuals. Psychologia Społeczna, 8, 277-289.
- Krys, K., Hansen, K., Xing, C., Szarota, P., & Yang, M. M. (2013). Do only fools smile at strangers? Cultural differences in social perception of intelligence of smiling individuals. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology. DOI: 10.1177/0022022113513922
- Krys, K., Hansen, K., Xing, C., Espinosa, A. D., Szarota, P., & Morales, M. F. (2015). It is better to smile to women: Gender modifies perception of honesty of smiling individuals across cultures. International Journal of Psychology, 50(2), 150-154.
- Krys, K. (2010). May amusement serve as a social courage engine? Polish Psychological Bulletin, 41(2), 67-73.
- Hekiert, D., Safdar, S., Boski, P., Krys, K., & Rees Lewis, J. Culture display rules of smiling and personal wellbeing: Mutually reinforcing or compensatory phenomena? Polish - Canadian comparisons. In C. Roland-Lévy (Ed.), Diversity, Equality and Culture.
- Krys, J. Various approaches to multiculturalism and the individual human rights. Nam Yearbook on Human Rights and Cultural Diversity, 499.
- Krys, K. (2012). I don’t like Russia, because I don’t like myself – about the role of lowered self-esteem in prejudice towards Russia, In J. Karwat (Ed.), Komunikowanie społeczne (pp. 219-232). Poznań: Wydawnictwo WSHiU.
- Cultural Diversity of Positive Aspects of Human Behavior
Institute of Psychology
Polish Academy of Sciences